Tuesday 7 July 2015

Recce

This recce is information about my photo shoot.


The ‘recce’


1.    Are there any potential hazards that could pose a health and safety risk where your photo shoot will take place (trailing cables/traffic/other objects)?

Some images will be taken near roads and near water which are a clear risk.  The roads could be busy when I take the photo shoot and it could end up being very bad weather with rain and wind.  This is not only a risk to people, but to the equipment I will be using too.

2.    What will you do to ensure these risks are minimised?

To reduce these risks I will take the location photos when there is less traffic.  A suitable time for this is a morning during the week.  The images taken near water will not be hazardous as I will not go too close to the water therefore both myself, the people with me and the equipment will not be at risk.

3.    Will the time of day/weather affect the outcome of the photos? Have you allowed for this?

The photos taken outdoors are not dependent on lots of light but cannot be taken when it’s raining or when it is dark.  Because of this, the images will be taken during the day when the weather is suitable.  The images taken indoors will be taken during the day however they will not require beams of sunlight.

4.    Have you considered the background to your photos, particularly if taken outside? How will you ensure you will get the background you want?

The images taken indoors will have more basic backgrounds however the outdoor images will contain more.  The image for the magazine’s feature page for example will be taken on a beach which will bring in more colour.  One of the images I am going to use on the website will be of Big Ben as I am visiting London soon.  This image will accompany text about film clubs visiting London to explore British Film.

5.    Have you considered lighting? What about the ‘problems’ of natural lighting, either outside, or streaming through a window? Will you need to use a flash? Have you considered reflective objects that might spoil the effect?

The cover image will require darkness with a small amount of light shining on me.  As for the location shots, I do not want bright sunlight to enter the frame which is why I will not take them on a day when this could become a problem.  Some of the images taken indoors are also at risk of containing streams of light so I will take them away from sources of brightness.  The image of the camera which will go on the billboard however will require bright light to make it stand out against the black background.

6.    Do you need permission to take photos in the place/venue you have in mind?

No

7.    Do you need to book time in a room (eg the photography studio at Shiney)?  

No

8.    Are other people/crowds likely to be an issue for you? What have you done to ensure that it will not spoil the effect?

The only image in which crowds would be a problem is the image of the Tyneside Cinema however as I am going to take this picture on a morning, it should be less crowded.

9.    Are you reliant on lifts/props/friends’ equipment/models? How have you planned that these things will come together at the appointed time? Plan B?

I will be using a very significant prop on the cover, contents page and feature page: a Super 8 camera.  This will be the focus of the magazine as the article is about local independent film making.  I am going to ask a friend or family to appear as the editor of the magazine.  If they are not available on the day I plan to take the photo then I will arrange another time for it to be taken.

10. Finally, have you thought of every eventuality…?

From doing this recce, I am confident that I can carry out an effective and careful photo shoot and that I can get the images I need in order to create well designed products.   




No comments:

Post a Comment